Sunday, August 9, 2009

Linkuva

I'm writing something up on my trip to Linkuva yesterday. Or rather, I'm trying to. I'm now sitting at the little kitchen table in my room, because sitting in the bed and trying to motivate myself to get going wasn't working so well. I hold out no great hopes for today, but we at least have a better shot over here.

Linkuva is the shtetl where my father's mother's mother came from, before coming to the US around 1900. At that time, the town was already about 400 years old.


View Larger Map

Here, have a quickie video of us driving into town.
Yes, I know it's shaky. We are coming in a sort of back way, on a bumpy dirt road. I am driving. And shooting the video at the same time on my regular digital camera. Not looking at what I'm filming very much, because, y'know, I'm driving and watching the road.
So yes, I know it's shaky.



And a photo in town (click to embiggen):

And the next one is of houses on the square:

And one more town shot, for now:

3 comments:

  1. I notice in the second house the satellite dish on the side. How about that in that fancy place. They really dont deserve more

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful it is to connect with the distant past with a "relatively" recent connection. I know Baubbie would be thrilled.

    And now I know what a Shettle/Shtetl is (although may not know how to spell it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. the colors in the last house are amazing. I also love the composition! I'll take an 8x10 please.

    ReplyDelete

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-15669091-1"); pageTracker.setAllowLinker(true); pageTracker._trackPageview();