Sunday, July 19, 2009

Going into town because it's there

After I got in last night, it was still reasonably early and I walked into Old Town, which is only about 10 minutes from the dorm. My guide book mentioned a vegetarian restaurant whose name translates to White Elephants.


(For those of you who would ask: why, yes, it was up a bit of a hill.) Got lost on my way, but kept wandering the right way into the right streets. I think I only had a problem because everyone kept saying, “Don’t worry, you can’t get lost.”


Walked past what looked like a solid building, but the front gate was open and a big rock concert was going on in the courtyard with hundreds of people, it seemed. Found my place, also a (covered) courtyard. Ate some fun tofu thing. Got a lovely pear cider from on tap, served in an enormous glass mug. You know I’m sold on any place that has cider on tap.


Old Town, as you’d expect, is prettier than a lot of other areas. Neat buildings. Relaxed vibe. Cheap food and drink (which only gets less expensive outside the cities).


And now, I’m going to get some crepes. And some internet.


(Later edit: I got neither crepes nor internet. But there’s so much patio eating that I had no trouble finding food and ate at a shaded sidewalk table and listened to some street musicians who weren’t terrible. At the end of the day, the bottoms of my feet are the color of splotchy burnt toast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-15669091-1"); pageTracker.setAllowLinker(true); pageTracker._trackPageview();