Saturday, June 20, 2009

Uses of the Internet

I'm trying to pick up a little Lithuanian before I go. I'm going to be spending about two and a half weeks on my own, traveling in the region, and 1) I think one should always try to learn whatever one can of a local language and/or vernacular out of respect and to not look like a cocky asshole, and 2) I will be in areas where English may not be widely spoken, it seems.

If I don't learn some Lithuanian, some basics, I'm in trouble. Or at least, I'll be making things much harder on myself than they need to be and I may miss out on something because I can't ask a question.

So away we go, to the wilds of the web, where we find language courses in abundance.
A few free. A few decent (for my purposes). Woo!

I spent a few minutes on a pronunciation chart, going over the alphabet (abecele) and dipthongs. I like knowing how the letters are supposed to sound, so as I struggle to learn the language, sounding out words, at least I know I'm sounding them out correctly. Most of the sounds are what I would guess, so that's lucky.

The example for the "ch" sound? Cikaga (with a carat above the C). Translation: Chicago.
I felt welcome.

One word they used repeatedly for a short "a" sound is nama(s), which sounds like name, but means house. I wonder if home is the same word. If we link name and home, then is it possible to ever leave places of origin? Or maybe it's the opposite - that wherever we find ourselves, our names, that place inherently must become home because we have brought our names there.

Or maybe this is just some fun with false cognates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-15669091-1"); pageTracker.setAllowLinker(true); pageTracker._trackPageview();